UIndy students faculty, staff, and alumni submit essays under this category for our Etchings Literary and Fine Arts Magazine.
We use a blind submission process, and we appreciate your help with this process:
- Submit up to 3 creative nonfiction essays (no more than 5,000 words each).
- Please submit a separate form for each essay (so, up to 3 forms/submissions for the essay category--it's OK to only include your bio and writer's statement on your first form).
- Please include only 1 essay in a file.
- Please do not include your name inside your file or as part of your file's name. Label your file with the submission title.
- When you upload your file, please use the file's name.
- Please include a bio (no more than 100 words) that you'd love to see published in our magazine! Here's a link to our last issue. For examples, check out the "Contributor Bios" at the back of the magazine (p. 83): https://issuu.com/etchingspress/docs/etchings31.1issuufrfinal.
- We encourage you to to submit a writer's statement (no more than 100 words) for your piece as well. This option offers you an opportunity to put your piece into context. Here is a past statement:
Example Writer's Statement
"Little Atrocities" [essay] by Jessica Marvel: "This piece is an essays, actually real and actually true. Sometimes when you're young, it's hard to know what guilt feels like until you're knee deep in it and someone's disappointed in you. Like I've said, I've never told my parents this story out of fear of what they might think of me. It's a story that hurts to tell, but it's about time I tell it."