UIndy students faculty, staff, and alumni submit short stories under this category for our Etchings Literary and Fine Arts Magazine.
We use a blind submission process, and we appreciate your help with this process:
- Submit up to 3 short stories (of no more than 5,000 words each).
- Please submit a separate form for each story (so, up to 3 forms/submissions for the short story category--it's OK to only include your bio and writer's statement on your first form).
- Please include only 1 story in a file.
- Please do not include your name inside your file or as part of your file's name. Label your file with the submission title.
- When you upload your file, please use the file's name.
- Please include a bio (no more than 100 words) that you'd love to see published in our magazine! Here's a link to our last issue. For examples, check out the "Contributor Bios" at the back of the magazine (p. 83): https://issuu.com/etchingspress/docs/etchings31.1issuufrfinal.
- We encourage you to to submit a writer's statement (no more than 100 words) for your piece as well. This option offers you an opportunity to put your piece into context. Here is a past statement:
Example Writer's Statement
"Mirror Girls" [fiction] by Cathy Watness: "Intimacy is something we all crave in one way or another. Many people look to sex for intimacy, and while sex can and many times is an intimate experience, the concept of intimacy is more complex. Overall, this piece demonstrates that intimacy is a spiritual connection that both encompasses and goes beyond the physical."